Here's our tipper coming through the gate through the Sanctuary to Dean's Yard behind Westminster Abbey, carrying 20 tonnes of Kingsley No 1 sand. Not much room to spare!
In the 10th century, a community of Benedictine monks established St Peter's Abbey in Westminster. In about 1042, Edward the Confessor decided that he needed a proper burial church, and started re-building St Peter's Abbey to a style fit for a King. It was finished and finally consecrated at the end of 1065, just in time for Edward's death in early January 1066. King Harold and then William the Conqueror were crowned in the Abbey, and since then, it has been the site for all English coronations.
The present church was built by Henry III in the 13th century, who like Edward the Confessor was rather keen on magnificent buildings, especially when dedicated to the glory of God and also, not incidentally, reflected well on himself. Henry VIII dissolved the monastery but granted the Abbey cathedral status in 1540 - he may have been a Church reformer but also had an eye for for grand architecture.
The sports sand we delivered will help restoring the Green at the Dean's Yard, which is the great quadrangle inside the various remaining abbey precincts, formerly a sanctuary for various fugitives of the law. Pupils of Westminster School (which is partly housed here) have the right to play football on the Green - which may explain the need for some sports sand dressing!